Frequently Asked Questions
There are several recommended methods of surface preparation for aluminium alloys. The main ones are:
- Mechanical methods such as abrasion or grit blasting
- Chemical methods such as controlled solvent cleaning or controlled alkaline etching, surface functionalisation
- Electrolytic methods such as chromic/sulphuric acid or phosphoric acid anodising
- Oxidative radiation cleaning such as plasma cleaning
- Primer coatings for surface stabilisation
The most appropriate choice of process (or combination of processes) is dictated by the end-application and the grade of material.
For a description of pre-treatment processes for aluminium alloys please refer to:
Adhesive bonding to aluminium and its alloys - an overview of pre-treatments
Adhesive bonding of aluminium and its alloys
Adhesive bonding - a guide to best practice
For assistance with this technology please contact us.