Structural integrity - the reliability and safe design of all engineered structures - is vitally important to prevent catastrophic failure and ensure continuous profitable operation.
Corrosion and structural integrity management have been an integral part of TWI's expertise for more than 60 years and TWI has established a world-class reputation for supplying high-calibre design and consultancy services to Members in the oil, gas and chemical, construction, power, defence, transportation and other industry sectors.
The consequences of structural integrity failure can be tragic in terms of loss of life and financially crippling due to loss of production and revenue.
Optimisation of both capital and operating expenditure is therefore of strategic importance. Combined with increasing regulatory demands, this requires businesses to develop solutions to design problems and to assess the structural integrity and performance of structures, plant, components and equipment with confidence.
TWI's portfolio of services includes failure investigation, root cause analysis, litigation, consultancy, specialised software products, mechanical and corrosion testing, and the development of integrity management solutions.
Specific capabilities include:
- Structural integrity assessment
- Evaluation of the significance of weld flaws
- Failure mechanism determination
- Risk-based inspection
- Corrosion management, including sour service
- Life extension of ageing structures
- Residual stress measurement and reduction of distortion
- Numerical modelling of structures, joints, welding processes and non-destructive testing (NDT) technologies
- Provision of expert advice on weldability, avoiding fabrication cracking, materials selection and fabrication approaches
- Assessment of high and low temperature performance
- Specialist technical workshops
- Extensive mechanical, fatigue, fracture, sulphide stress cracking, corrosion, and stress corrosion testing facilities, with the ability to develop bespoke tests to address specific problems.